This Cheesy Potato Casserole is a side dish you can serve at breakfast, brunch, or even dinner! Made with hash browns and loads of cheese, nobody can pass up a serving of this homemade potato casserole.
An Easy Cheesy Potato Casserole Recipe
You can never have enough casserole recipes; they’re so easy to make, and they always fill you right up. This Cheesy Potato Casserole is no different. It can be on the table in just an hour, with only 15 minutes of prep work!
Another thing I love about this casserole is that I can serve it any time of day. It’s great at breakfast (who doesn’t love hash browns?), brunch, and even dinner – that means the leftovers won’t sit in my fridge forever! They wouldn’t anyway because, hello, potatoes covered in cheese, but still. 🙂
Happy eating from my table to yours!
So what do you need to put this casserole together? Gather the following:
For the Casserole:
- Yellow Onion
- Garlic Cloves
- Sour Cream: you’ll need about 1 pint (16 oz).
- Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup: this recipe is made with a 10 oz can.
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Frozen Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes: you’ll need 1 bag (30 oz), let them thaw partially.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: 2 cups or about 8 oz.
- Corn Flakes: crushed ritz crackers will also work well!
How to Make Cheesy Potato Casserole
Making this potato casserole is no sweat at all. After you sauté the onions, essentially all you have to do is mix the other ingredients together, add the topping, and then bake it.
Let’s get started!
Prep: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 13×9 dish.
Sauté Onions: In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
Mix Other Ingredients: In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients: sour cream, cream of chicken soup, 1/2 cup melted butter, black pepper, shredded hash brown potatoes and shredded cheddar cheese; stir until well blended. Fold in cooked onion mixture. Pour into prepared baking dish.
Add Topping: In a medium sized bowl, combine ritz crackers and melted butter. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the casserole.
Bake: Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until bubbly and the top is browned. Serve hot!
Tips for Success
Super easy, right? Here are some tips to help you with this cheesy potato casserole just in case, though.
- For Using Fresh Potatoes: if you use fresh potatoes, you’ll want to peel them, cut them into cubes, and parboil them before proceeding with the recipe.
- Make It Ahead: if you hold off on adding the topping, you can refrigerate the uncooked casserole and then bake it with the topping when you’re ready to eat.
- Add Meat: this can easily be served as a main course if you add in some ham or chicken.
Though this casserole is already pretty fantastic, there are a couple of substitutions or add-ins that you may want to consider. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Use Potatoes: you can used cubed potatoes instead of hash browns if you want.
- Crushed Chips vs Crackers: you could crumble some crushed chips on top (like Lays) instead of using Ritz Crackers.
- Add Bacon: who doesn’t love bacon bits in a casserole?
- Add Veggies: you could try broccoli, peas, etc.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
You can refrigerate this potato casserole in an airtight container for about 2-3 days. You could also freeze it, but I would omit the crushed topping until you’re ready to bake it again.
To reheat these leftovers, pop them in the toaster oven at 350°F for a couple of minutes, or simply put them in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute.
- For the Casserole:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pint (16 oz) sour cream
- 1 can (10 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon freshly crack black pepper
- 1 bag (30 oz) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, partially thawed
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- For the Topping:
- 3 cups cornflakes (or crushed ritz crackers)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 13x9 dish.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients: sour cream, cream of chicken soup, 1/2 cup melted butter, black pepper, shredded hash brown potatoes and shredded cheddar cheese; stir until well blended. Fold in cooked onion mixture. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine cornflakes and melted butter. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until bubbly and the top is browned. Serve hot!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 368Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 589mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
Want to Save This Recipe?
More Casserole REcipes to Try
If you’re in need of some more casserole recipes, check out some of these!
- Creamy Ham Casserole
- The Best Green Bean Casserole
- Turkey Biscuit Casserole
- Mexican Casserole
- Meatball Sub Casserole
- Overnight Bacon And Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- The Best Sweet Potato Casserole
- Jiffy Corn Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.