These Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes are soft, tender and full of rich fall flavor with maple and pecans! They take just 10 minutes to cook, making them an easy side dish to add to your Thanksgiving menu.
Table of Contents
Creamy Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Thanksgiving is just around the corner, which means it’s time to treat you to one of my favorite side dishes! These Instant Pot Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes are out-of-this-world creamy, with crunchy chopped pecans on top for added texture and flavor.
I love making mashed sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot because I don’t have to wait for the water to boil on the stove or watch that it doesn’t boil over. Just add them to the instant pot, set it, and walk away. Plus, I can have them on the table in just about 20 minutes.
These Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes are flavored up with pure maple syrup creating perfect sweet-flavored mashed sweet potatoes. It can be tough to deviate from classic mashed potatoes, but I highly recommend you give these tender sweet potatoes a try!
What do you need for these maple-flavored mashed potatoes? Gather up the following:
- Sweet Potatoes: You’ll need about 3 lbs (about 4-5 potatoes).
- Unsalted Butter
- Heavy Cream: 2% milk or whole milk can also be used, but heavy cream provides the richest flavor.
- Maple Syrup: Adds the sweet maple flavor to the mashed sweet potatoes.
- Seasonings: Ground cinnamon, salt, clove, and nutmeg all help add a warm flavor to these Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes.
- Chopped Pecans: or walnuts work nicely as well. You can also use candied nuts for added sweetness!
How to Make Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Let’s get started so you can dig in! Follow these easy steps for the best mashed sweet potatoes.
- Cook the potatoes. Wash, peel, and dice the sweet potatoes. Place in the Instant Pot and top with water. Add the lid, set the valve to seal, and turn on manual high pressure for 10 minutes. Quick release the steam.
- Add the other ingredients. Drain the sweet potatoes then return to the pot. Stir in the butter and mash the potatoes. Add the cream, syrup, spices, and chopped pecans. Stir until well combined.
- Enjoy. Top with the remaining pecans and enjoy.
Tips for Success
Here are some easy tips for the best mashed sweet potatoes ever:
- Maple-less Sweet Potatoes: If you want a more subtle flavor in your mashed potatoes, you can omit the maple syrup or use less of it. Then add brown sugar, to taste to sweeten.
- How to Mash the Potatoes: You can mash them by hand with a potato masher, use a hand mixer, or you can use a blender/food processor if you like them extra smooth.
- Unpeeled Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potato skins are safe to eat. If you want to skip peeling the potatoes, you can! The texture will be a little different, but the mashed potatoes will still be absolutely delicious.
- For Lighter Mashed Potatoes: Add additional milk or heavy cream if you want a lighter consistency to your mashed potatoes.
- Nuts? You can use pecans, walnuts, or even candied nuts. The added pecans add a little burst of crunch to your sweet potatoes, however, they are optional! You can skip them completely if you would prefer.
What Goes with Mashed Sweet Potatoes?
I know it’s tempting to eat these creamy mashed potatoes right out of the Instant Pot, but it’s probably a good idea to serve them with one or more of these choices:
- Turkey: Another Thanksgiving staple! Other meats like chicken work well too. Check out my post: How To Cook A Turkey: Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe + Tips!
- A Green Salad: Salad goes well with almost anything, and these mashed potatoes are no exception.
- Other Vegetables: An additional side of roasted veggies would make for a healthy, hearty meal. Try my easy Green Bean Casserole Recipe.
Can I Prep Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes In Advance?
Absolutely! Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes are a great make-ahead side dish.
If prepping them ahead to serve to guests, I like to mash them and then transfer them to a 9×13 casserole dish without any toppings. I wrap the casserole dish with Saran Wrap or foil and pop it into the fridge.
When I am ready to serve them, I preheat the oven to 350°F and reheat them for about 20 minutes, until warmed through. Then sprinkle them fresh with any toppings I choose!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- Store. These Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes store best when they are refrigerated in an airtight container.
- Reheat. To reheat, put them in a pot on the stovetop on low heat, or simply microwave them for 30 seconds to a minute.
More Holiday Recipes to Try
- The Best Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Best Jiffy Corn Casserole Recipe
- Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake
- How To Cook A Turkey – my favorite way to make a juice Thanksgiving Turkey!
- Cranberry Orange Relish
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Sweet Potato Casserole
Instant Pot Mashed Maple Sweet Potatoes
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, about 4-5 potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground clove
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped pecans, divided
- Wash, peel, and dice the potatoes into large pieces.
- Place potatoes into the bottom of the Instant Pot and pour in the water.
- Lock on the Instant Pot lid, set the valve to seal and turn on manual high pressure for 10 minutes. Once the potatoes have finished cooking, do a quick release for the steam. Drain any excess liquid from the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Stir in the butter and mash the potatoes to your desired consistency.
- Pour in the cream, syrup, seasonings and ¼ cup of the chopped pecans until well combined. Sprinkle remaining pecans on top of the potatoes and serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.