Super crispy and perfectly seasoned Baked Sweet Potato Fries! Only need 4 ingredients to make this mouthwatering snack or side dish.
Table of Contents
- Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Are Baked Sweet Potato Fries Healthy?
- Only 4 Easy Ingredients
- Preparing The Sweet Potatoes for Homemade Fries
- How to Make Sweet Potato Fries In The Oven
- How to Make Sweet Potato Fries In An Air Fryer
- Can I Make These Ahead Of Time?
- How To Serve Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Say hello to these healthy and flavorful Baked Sweet Potato Fries! Fresh from the oven, these crispy fries are a delicious and nutritious alternative to regular french fries. Your kids will love them for an after school snack or a special treat.
Packed with nutrients, this recipe is perfect for when you’re craving fast food. Yes, healthy junk food is a thing! Sweet potato fries are naturally gluten-free and vegan friendly, plus they go great with burgers, chicken, and all of your favorite dipping sauces.
I love that they’re low maintenance, needing just 4 ingredients and 30 minutes in the oven. Plus, you can chop the potatoes ahead of time and store them in a ziploc bag in the fridge for when you need a snack in a pinch! You’ll be enjoying plate after plate of these perfectly crispy and seasoned healthy fries in no time.
Are Baked Sweet Potato Fries Healthy?
I love this recipe because it’s a healthy treat that kids actually love. Sweet potatoes have slightly more carbs and calories than regular white potatoes, but contain more antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins A, C, and B6. Additionally, baking the fries uses significantly less oil than deep frying, which lessens the fat and calorie content.
Only 4 Easy Ingredients
This is all you need to make this recipe:
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
It doesn’t take much to spruce up these fries. The light seasonings compliment the natural sweetness from the potatoes, but if you like a little extra flavor or heat, add a few pinches of garlic powder, paprika, parmesan cheese, or a touch of cayenne to the finished fries.
The Magic of Cornstarch
You may be wondering: why are we adding cornstarch before baking? It just so happens to be the secret to super crispy baked sweet potato fries. Tossing the cut fries in olive oil and cornstarch acts as a coating that will adhere to the outside of the potato, crisping it up as it bakes.
Preparing The Sweet Potatoes for Homemade Fries
These fries won’t be soggy and will cook evenly as long as we follow each step precisely. Here’s how I achieve super crispy sweet potato fries:
- Peel The Potatoes: The potatoes will be able to soak in the oil, cornstarch, and seasonings easily once their skin is removed.
- Cut The Fries Evenly: Slice the fries into even sizes and widths to allow for even cooking. If the fries are all different sizes, they’re more likely to cook inconsistently (meaning burnt or undercooked fries).
- Give Them A Bath: This step is optional, but once the fries are cut, you can toss them a bowl with cold water. Letting them soak for up to 12 hours will remove any access starch and help them become more crispy in the oven. Once they’re finished soaking, thoroughly rinse the fries and dry them well.
- Lay Them Flat: Like I said, we have to be precise! Lay the fries flat and spaced apart on the baking sheet before roasting. If they’re piled on top of each other, the fries on the bottom won’t stand a chance of cooking properly.
How to Make Sweet Potato Fries In The Oven
You can’t get crispy fries without high heat! 425ºF is the optimum temperature to bake sweet potato fries. Any lower and they’ll turn out soggy.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or non-stick aluminum foil.
- Place the cut fries in a large ziploc bag or bowl and drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil overtop. Shake the bag or mix the fries until they’re evenly coated. Next, sprinkle in the cornstarch and mix again until everything is covered.
- Add 1 final tablespoon of olive oil and mix until the white from the cornstarch disappears. Sprinkle the salt and pepper overtop and toss the fries one last time!
- Lay out the sweet potato fries evenly, in a single layer, on the baking sheet. Roast them for 25 to 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- The fries are best served fresh and hot out of the oven. Finish with an extra sprinkle of salt and pepper or any of your favorite seasonings and enjoy!
How to Make Sweet Potato Fries In An Air Fryer
Spend a little less energy by making these fries in an Air Fryer instead of the oven. To do this, prepare the potatoes as you would when baking the fries. Use only 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil when tossing the fries with cornstarch and seasonings. Heat the Air Fryer to 375ºF, and lay the fries in an even layer on the tray (fry in batches if you need to). Cook each batch for 15-17 minutes, flipping the fries halfway.
Can I Make These Ahead Of Time?
Sweet potato fries are a perfect snack to prepare well ahead of time. I like to cut up my potatoes and store them in a ziploc bag in the fridge until I need them. This way, all I have to do is season, bake, and serve the fries an out-of-the-box after school snack or a fun late night treat in no time!
How To Serve Baked Sweet Potato Fries
These fries are excellent as a healthy alternative to regular junk food or as a side dish for both lunch and dinner. Whip up a few of my Crock Pot Pulled Pork Sandwiches with these fries on the side, or create a hearty and satisfying weeknight meal by enjoying them with my favorite juicy baked chicken.
Don’t forget the dipping sauce! I love these super simple fries dipped in regular ketchup and mayonnaise, but they’re also tasty with chipotle mayo, barbeque sauce, ranch dressing or even marshmallow fluff if you’re feeling crazy!
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1.5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2.5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or non-stick aluminum foil.
Peel sweet potatoes and slice into fries. You want fries to be as even in width as possible for even cooking.
Place sweet potatoes in one of those giant size ziplocks and drizzle in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Shake like crazy to evenly coat. Then sprinkle in the cornstarch and shake, shake, shake.
Drizzle in the last tablespoon of olive oil and shake until cornstarch disappears. Sprinkle in the salt and pepper and shake one last time!
Lay out the sweet potatoes in a single layer and bake 25-30 minutes, flipping half way through. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 196mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 3g
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.