These light and fluffy Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins are chock full of chocolatey goodness. If you love chocolate chip cookies, you’ll adore these easy, grab-and-go muffins for a quick snack or breakfast!
*This recipe is sponsored by Dixie Crystals. Thank you for supporting the brands that make this site possible!*
Easy Mini Muffins with Chocolate Chips
When it comes to a light, sweet, anytime treat, I really think you can’t beat muffins. And mini muffins, with their kid-friendly size and sheer cuteness, are even better! Each fluffy bite of a muffin is satisfying, whether you grab them on your way out the door, enjoy them up with a hot cup of coffee, or serve with a cold glass of milk for the ultimate after-school snack. They’re like a cupcake with no need for frosting – easy and scrumptious.
This chocolate chip muffin recipe is based on everyone’s favorite: chocolate chip cookies. Tender, buttery muffin batter is flavored with a hint of cinnamon, and then studded with plenty of chocolate chips. Make these, and watch them disappear!
What You’ll Need
Super-easy muffins, coming up! These are the ingredients you will need to make perfect, mini chocolate chip muffins from scratch.
- Flour: All-purpose flour works best for this recipe. You can use gluten-free all-purpose flour if you prefer, but the texture may vary. If you do use gluten-free, a 1:1 blend that contains xanthan gum is most likely to work.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: To lighten the muffins and make them fluffy.
- Salt: I use kosher salt, but you could use just about any salt that you like.
- Cinnamon: A hint of ground cinnamon adds warmth and brings out the flavor of the chocolate.
- Butter: This recipe calls for unsalted butter, but you can use salted if you like, and adjust the amount of added salt in the recipe. The butter should be melted and cooled.
- Vegetable Oil: Vegetable oil is my go-to, but you can substitute any neutral-flavored oil that you like.
- Granulated Sugar: I use Dixie Crystal Granulated Sugar.
- Egg: For best results, set out cold ingredients like eggs and sour cream beforehand, and let them come to room temperature.
- Vanilla Extract: You could also use a scraped vanilla bean.
- Sour Cream: Full-fat sour cream is best. Full-fat plain yogurt is also great!
- Milk: Again, I like to use full-fat (whole) milk here for the best flavor and moisture.
- Chocolate Chips: I like to use a combination of regular-sized chocolate chips, and mini chocolate chips. Both should be semi-sweet.
How to Make Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins from Scratch
These tasty bites of goodness couldn’t be easier (or tastier) to make! You’ll be happy you took the time to bake these cute mini chocolate chip muffins. And it only takes a few minutes to put them into the oven.
Prepare the Oven, Muffin Tin, and Butter. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a mini muffin tin, or place muffin liners in each well. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter in 30-second intervals. Let it cool slightly before you use it, so it doesn’t scramble the eggs in the batter.
Combine the Dry Ingredients. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a big mixing bowl: the flour, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt, and ground cinnamon. Set this aside.
Combine the Wet Ingredients. In another mixing bowl, whisk together your cooled melted butter, the oil, and the sugar. Then, add the egg and vanilla extract, and whisk again until smooth. Finally, whisk in the sour cream and the milk.
Make Your Batter. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and use a stiff spatula or wooden spoon to gently blend the ingredients together. Fold in all of the regular chocolate chips, along with half a cup of the mini chocolate chips.
Bake. Fill the mini muffin tin, either with a teaspoon or by using a small cookie scoop. Be careful not to overfill! Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with the remaining mini chocolate chips, and then bake the muffins for 12-14 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Enjoy! Allow the muffins to cool before serving or storing.
Easy Tips and Variations
While these muffins may be simple, there are a few tips I’d like to share – these helpful hints will ensure that your muffins turn out light, fluffy, and flavorful.
- Oil and Butter: Butter adds a lot of flavor to these mini muffins, while the oil helps keep them extra light and moist.
- Room Temperature: Making sure your eggs, sour cream/yogurt, and milk are all at room temperature helps your muffins bake up light and flavorful.
- Mixing: While you can use a stand mixer or hand mixer for this recipe, I find that it’s easy to over-mix the batter that way. Instead, I recommend doing the whisking and folding by hand.
- Flavors: Change up the flavors in this recipe by substituting some (or all) of the chocolate chips with white chocolate, butterscotch, or other baking chips.
- Toppings: Topping your muffins with chopped nuts, powdered sugar, or a sprinkle of raw sugar is a great way to add texture and a little extra luxury.
Storing Your Mini Muffins the Right Way
- To store your muffins, keep them in an airtight container for up to 5 days. I recommend storing at room temperature, but you can store them in the fridge if you prefer.
- If you’d like to warm up the muffins before serving, just pop them in your toaster oven (not a regular toaster) for a minute, or in the microwave for 8 – 10 seconds.
- To keep them moist, store the muffins with a piece of white bread. Replace the piece of bread every few days as it gets stale. (This is an old trick for baked goods! Try it, it works surprisingly well!)
Can I Freeze These?
Yes! To freeze your muffins, just cool them down and wrap each one in plastic wrap. Then pack them loosely into a freezer bag, gently pressing out the excess air before sealing. Freeze for up to three months, and thaw on the counter before serving.
Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins
These light and fluffy Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins are chock full of chocolatey goodness. If you love chocolate chip treats, you’ll adore these easy, grab-and-go muffins for a quick snack or breakfast!
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup Dixie Crystal Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons full fat sour cream or yogurt, room temperature
- ½ cup whole milk, room temperature
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a mini muffin tin with muffin wrappers or make sure to grease tins well if not using them.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter in 30 second intervals. Set aside and allow to cool for a few minutes. In a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt, and ground cinnamon. Whisk together until well combined. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add cooled melted butter, oil and sugar. Whisk together until well combined. Next, add the egg and vanilla extract and continue to whisk together. Then, add the sour cream and milk and continue whisking together.
- Next, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Using a stiff spatula or wooden spoon to fold the ingredients together. Careful not to over mix. Typically between 20-25 folds will be great! Fold in regular chocolate chips and ½ cup mini chocolate chips.
- Then, using a small cookie scoop or tablespoon fil the mini muffin tins - careful not to overflow. Using the reserved chocolate chips, sprinkle the tops of each muffin with chips.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. Use a toothpick and insert into the center of a muffin to ensure it is fully baked.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 106Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 49mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 2g
More Awesome Breakfast Recipes
Looking for some more great breakfast ideas? Here are a few of my favorites below, both savory and sweet:
- Easy Cinnamon Bread
- Berry Stuffed French Toast
- Banana Cream Cheese Muffins
- Fresh Huevos Rancheros
- Brown Sugar Banana Bread
- Homemade Sausage Gravy
- Disney’s Blueberry Muffins
- Overnight Ham Breakfast Casserole
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.