White Chicken Chili
Almost all of my favorite comfort foods come in bowls. Soups, Cereal and Ice Cream. This soup was exactly that, a big giant bowl of comfort. I had spent all day answering emails, cleaning, doing laundry, making conference calls and grocery shopping.
By the time the day was over, all I wanted to do was eat and watch reruns of Girls on HBO (ps the new season starts in just a couple weeks – YAY). I had made plans to make Stuffed Flank Steak with Grits, but I just wasn’t up for that much work! I wanted something delicious, easy and fast.
Sometimes, as much as I try to be, I am not up for an all day soup making affair. On a chilly Sunday afternoon, I am all for having a big pot of soup simmering on the stove all afternoon. But on a rainy Wednesday night, I just need dinner on the table fast enough that I don’t eat chips and dip for dinner instead. Just tellin’ ya how it is. 😉
By using a rotisserie chicken, this chili comes together quickly! It took me right around 40 minutes from start to finish. Not bad for a chili!
I served it with my all time favorite Buttery Beer Bread. The combination was so good, that Jorge and I both went back for seconds! If you are looking for a warm bowl of comfort food that is pretty healthy, this one’s for you.
White Chicken Chili
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 8 oz can green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups cooked & shredded chicken (about 4 breasts)
- 2 (14 oz) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- green onions, chopped
- mozzarella cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornmeal and milk. Set aside.
- In a dutch oven (or a heavy bottomed pot), melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and jalapeno, cooking until soft – about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and green chilies and cook for 30 more seconds. Add spices (chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, kosher salt) and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock, shredded chicken and cannellini beans. Bring to a low boil. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cornmeal and milk mixture. Continue simmering for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes to thicken before serving.
- Divide among 4 bowls and top with green onions, mozzarella cheese and a dollop of sour cream! Enjoy!
inspired by Pinch Of Yum