Rich and buttery, this Chocolate Chip Croissant French Toast Bake gets an A+ for effortless breakfast recipes. Loaded with chocolate chips, it’s a morning treat that easily passes as dessert any day.
The Best French Toast Bake Casserole
Made with fresh or leftover croissants, this chocolate chip croissant French toast bake is a fun and sweet twist on traditional French toast. Prepared in a single baking dish, this recipe is also clean-up friendly— which I know you love.
Drizzled with a bit of syrup, this recipe promises to be the best French toast bake you’ve tried in a while. Additionally, it’s a no-fuss breakfast. Made with only 6 ingredients, it’s at the top of the list for easy, family-sized dishes.
Puffy and golden brown, slicing into the casserole with reveal beautifully softened croissants. The chocolate chips are just another sweet, melty invitation to dig right in.
Don’t be afraid to get creative with the toppings and add-ins! Add some whipped cream or a handful of blueberries for an extra sweet bite in between all the fluffy, buttery layers of croissants.
Why Use Croissants For French Toast?
Why wouldn’t you? They’re light, flaky, and packed with butteriness. Besides, you don’t even need to slice them. Just tear them and throw them right in!
Made with 6 pantry staples, it’s really all about nailing down the process. For exact amounts, check the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Croissants – Fresh or a day old, both are wonderful for this recipe. You can also use French bread, brioche, and Challah.
- Milk – Use whole or low-fat milk. Mix 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream with 1/2 cup whole milk for a more decadent casserole.
- Ground cinnamon
- Vanilla extract – Almond, orange, and coffee extracts are fun twists on this breakfast idea.
- Chocolate chips – I prefer mini chocolate chips, but you can also use regular ones. Roughly chopped chocolate will do too.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Croissant French Toast Casserole
Once you tear the croissants and make the milk mixture, the rest of the recipe is quite effortless.
- Prepare the baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350F. Generously grease an 8×11″ baking dish with non-stick baking spray. Tear the croissants into smaller pieces.
- Whisk the eggs. Combine the milk, eggs, cinnamon, and vanilla extract in a large bowl until you get an even mixture.
- Soak the croissants. Place the croissant pieces in the bowl and soak them in half the liquid for 10 minutes.
- Fill the baking dish. Arrange half of the soaked croissants in the baking dish. Sprinkle half of the chocolate chips on top. Top with another layer of croissants.
- Add more milk. Pour the remaining milk mixture over the croissants. Sprinkle with more cinnamon and chocolate chips.
- Bake. Pop the baking dish into the oven for 40 minutes, until golden brown and the center is set. Remove it from the oven and let it cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Serve. Top with syrup, powdered sugar, and/or your favorite toppings.
Tips for Success
Follow these tips for a deliciously golden bake:
- Use a large baking dish. Make sure your baking dish is at least 2.5″ deep. The croissants will puff up during baking and may overflow if the baking dish isn’t deep enough.
- Add whipped cream. Once the French toast casserole is ready, serve it with some whipped cream for an extra dreamy dessert.
- Use fresh fruit. Add sliced apples or blueberries in between the soaked croissants for a bit of fruitiness.
- Don’t under-bake. Wait until the center is set or the eggs in the mixture might not be cooked through. Likewise, don’t raise the oven temperature or the croissants will dry out and burn.
What To Serve with a French Toast Bake
This chocolate chip croissant french toast bake is a real winner with breakfast eggs and bacon. Paired with yummy drinks, it’s the perfect way to start the day. I recommend my Homemade Strawberry Milk, Vanilla Cinnamon Iced Coffee, and Dalgona Coffee with it.
It’s also hearty enough to enjoy on its own. If that’s the plan, then make sure to generously drizzle it with raw honey or maple syrup. You can also add your favorite fruits like blueberries and strawberries for a bit of brightness. Raspberries, bananas, and blackberries are great too.
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
Refrigerate any cooled leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. To reheat, sprinkle them with 1-2 tsp of water and microwave them for 45-60 seconds.
Chocolate Chip Croissant French Toast Bake
- 4 large croissants
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray or grease a 8 x 11 inch baking dish. Cut or tear croissants into smaller pieces.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk to combine the milk, eggs, cinnamon, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Soak the croissant pieces in half of the milk mixture until saturated (press down with a spoon to get them to soak up the milk, as needed).
- Layer half of the soaked croissants in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle half the chocolate chips over first layer. Repeat with remaining croissant pieces to create a second layer.
- Pour remaining milk mixture over layers. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon and remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake 40 minutes, until browned and center is set. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with syrup, powdered sugar, and/or your favorite toppings.
More Sweet Breakfast Recipes
- Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Berry Stuffed French Toast
- Baked French Toast Muffins
- Pumpkin French Toast Roll-Ups
- Vanilla Cranberry Sugar Muffins
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.