These cheesy Bisquick Sausage Balls come together in minutes! A classic recipe for pork sausage balls made with Bisquick, sharp cheddar, and flavorful herbs and spices.
Classic Bisquick Sausage Balls
There’s nothing quite like a classic Christmas recipe, and for my family, that recipe is sausage balls. I just love the nostalgic flavors of these savory pork sausage balls made with Bisquick, sharp cheddar cheese and a handful of spices. Enjoying them with dipping sauces like honey mustard or sweet chili, I have instant flashbacks to making and eating these special party bites every Christmas since childhood!
Made with the quintessential baking mix, Bisquick sausage balls are the perfect flavorful, easy bite-sized appetizer for snacking. I always add a splash of Worcestershire sauce and Italian seasoning that really makes the traditional flavors stand out.
Your guests will absolutely love this classic holiday appetizer and you will be amazed at how quickly they disappear! All I’m saying is, it’s a good thing this recipe makes enough to feed a small army.
What Are Sausage Balls?
Sausage balls are a classic holiday recipe, traditionally made with ground pork and Bisquick baking mix balled together with herbs and spices for seasoning, plus cheese and milk to keep the texture moist.
You can serve these special baked meat balls alongside dipping sauces for a quick appetizer that’s easy to make (and even easier to eat).
If you love sausage balls, make sure to check out this recipe for Biscuits and Gravy Sausage Balls!
Here’s everything you’ll need to make this easy recipe for Bisquick sausage balls. It’s one that I can guarantee is as easy as delicious gets!
- Bisquick: The original baking mix, and the foundation of many classic sausage balls recipes from childhood memory!
- Ground Pork Sausage: I like to use half regular and half spicy pork sausage, for a nice kick of heat. If you like a lot of heat, use all spicy pork sausage!
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese: Freshly grated as opposed to store bought, pre-shredded cheese.
- Milk: Adding milk will bring some moisture back to the ground sausage mixture.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Such delicious and hearty flavor in one condiment, and great with pork!
- Italian Seasoning: All the perfect herbs and spices in one! Find premixed Italian seasoning in the spice aisle.
What Kind of Sausage to Use
You can use any variation of ground pork sausage for traditional sausage balls. I like to use a mixture of spicy pork sausage and regular pork sausage as it keeps my sausage balls seasoned and flavorful with just the right amount of kick.
Likewise Italian sausage, breakfast sausage, even purely hot and spicy sausage work wonderfully – the key is for the meat to be raw and ground, and not cooked or smoked.
How to Make Bisquick Sausage Balls
This recipe no doubt puts the quick in “Bisquick”! These sausage balls call for a single bowl and couldn’t be any easier to make, plus my kids love to help when rolling out the meat balls! The result is a delicious, classic, and easy appetizer ready to serve in under 30 minutes.
- Mix the Ingredients: While the oven is preheating to 350°F, beat together all the ingredients – Bisquick, sausage, cheese, milk, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning – in a large mixing bowl. Use a hand mixer or a stand mixer, or just a spoon and some regular old elbow grease!
- Roll Out the Sausage Balls: Roll the sausage mixture into golf ball-sized balls and arrange them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake: Bake until the sausage balls are golden brown and cooked through, about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve: Transfer the balls into a serving dish or platter and serve warm alongside your choice of dipping sauce! See my serving suggestions below for ideas.
Tips for Success
- Make Your Own Homemade Bisquick: Making your own mix is so easy to do! Sift 3 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 tablespoons of baking powder, and 1/2 tablespoon of salt three times into a large bowl. Cut in 1/2 cup vegetable shortening with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Tada! Save your homemade version to use in this recipe or any recipe where Bisquick is called for.
- Avoid Pre-Shredded Cheese: Bagged shredded cheese is dry, and this recipe calls for the moisture that only comes from freshly grated sharp cheddar!
- Add Extra Milk to Dry Batter: Depending on the leanness of the pork you choose and other factors, you may need to add an extra splash or two of milk to batter that looks a bit dry.
- Make this Recipe Ahead of Time: Sausage balls are a fantastic party appetizer to make ahead. For extra convenience, you can roll out the balls onto cookie sheets and then store them in the fridge covered with plastic wrap up to 24 hours before. Pop them into the oven when your guests arrive for easy, fresh baked sausage balls!
Cheesy Bisquick Sausage Balls make a fantastic appetizer or entree served alone or alongside holiday snacks like these homemade potstickers or my honey pecan cheese ball truffles. Cheesy sausage balls are best served warm from the oven accompanied by one or more homemade dipping sauces:
- Honey Mustard
- Creamy Sweet Chili Sauce
- Ranch Dressing
For a cute way to serve, provide colorful appetizer skewers to make for easy dipping.
You can also serve these pork sausage balls as an entree or for breakfast; they pair just as wonderfully with Mashed Potatoes or Biscuits and Gravy as they do with homemade Pancakes!
How to Store and Reheat Extras
Store leftover cooked sausage balls wrapped tightly in plastic wrap or in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can reheat them in the microwave for a few seconds or in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until heated through.
Can I Freeze These?
Yes! You can freeze uncooked sausage balls in an airtight container for up to 4 months.
Place the sausage balls on a baking sheet in the freezer and once they’re frozen, transfer them to a ziplock freezer bag. When you are ready to bake them, let them thaw for 20 to 30 minutes and then bake.
More Easy Appetizer Ideas
Try these other holiday party bites to serve next to your Bisquick Sausage Balls:
- Easy Grape Jelly Meatballs
- Cheesy Beef Empanadas
- Hot Spinach Dip
- Cheesy Turkey Sliders
- Best Texas Caviar
- Cheese Ranch Pigs In A Blanket
- Best Cucumber Sandwiches
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Easy Bisquick Sausage Balls
My classic Bisquick Sausage Balls recipe made with pork sausage, sharp cheddar, and flavorful herbs and spices. A perfect holiday appetizer that guests will love!
- 3 cups Bisquick
- 1 lb ground pork sausage
- 1 lb ground spicy pork sausage
- 16 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
Optional Dipping Sauces:
- Honey Mustard
- Creamy Sweet Chili Sauce
- Ranch Dressing
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer (or stand mixer with paddle attachment), beat together all ingredients.
- Roll mixture into golf ball-sized balls; arrange balls on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown and the sausage is cooked through entirely.
Storage: Store leftover cooked sausage balls wrapped tightly in plastic wrap or in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can reheat them in the microwave for a few seconds or in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until heated through.
Yield:52 sausage balls
Serving Size:3 sausage balls
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 129Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 298mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 6g
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.