Soft lemon sugar cookies are topped with a creamy lemon glaze in this simple recipe for Lemon Meltaway Cookies. They melt in your mouth for an explosion of delicious lemon flavor in every bite!
Soft Lemon Sugar Cookies with Lemon Glaze
I woke up in a grouchy mood and I couldn’t shake it off. Coffee, a joking husband and a brisk walk around the block couldn’t cure it. Laying on the couch and hiding under the covers didn’t work…and doing some online shopping (helllooo new dresses!) didn’t help. I was just in a funk and nothing was snapping me out of it.
I finally picked myself up off my permeant position on the couch and went and made Kerri’s Tuna Pasta Salad for lunch. After I had stuffed myself with as much pasta as I could eat, I somehow found myself making cookies.
There is just something magical about making cookies that makes me instantly feel so much better. Maybe it’s the automatic mode my brain goes into once the butter goes into the stand mixer. Cookies are ingrained in me and I am so thankful for their bad mood curing abilities. Cookies always help!
Why I Love These Cookies
I based these Lemon Meltaway Cookies after my favorite Almond Meltaway Cookies (I also made them as Coconut Meltaway Cookies!). They have the same glorious soft buttery shortbread base and royal icing — but instead of almond flavored they are lemon! They are quick to make and truly melt in your mouth! You just need 30 minutes to whip these babies up — that includes frosting time!
These Meltaway Lemon Cookies are so zesty, they could brighten up any day. I absolutely love citrus desserts — so it should be no surprise that I was head over heels in love with these. Oh and did I mention you only need 8 ingredients? Like I said – easy peasy!
These seriously soft buttery shortbread cookies are perfectly balanced with a burst of lemon juice and zest! Y’all are going to really love this easy recipe I developed for Dixie Crystals!
For the Lemon Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- Zest from 1 lemon
For the Lemon Icing
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Fresh lemon zest, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and lemon zest, mixing until combined. Add flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time, mixing until completely combined.
- Roll one tablespoon of dough into small circles and then press with hands (or with the bottom of a cup) into a disk shape. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the centers are set. The cookies will not look browned or cooked, but they are. Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once ready to frost cookies, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- Using a spoon, smooth icing onto the top of each cookie. Top with fresh lemon zest, if desired. Let icing set for 10 minutes, or until hardened. Store in airtight container for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 86Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 30mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 1g
Want to Save This Recipe?
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.