Many many moons ago, when Jorge and I were kidless, we used to sometimes wake up on Saturday morning and drive over an hour to get to a Farmer’s Market in St Pete that had an amazing sweet almond filled crescent.
Now we go to one with the twins that is just as great and is only fifteen minutes away. It has a gourmet grilled cheese food truck that we all love, but I really do miss those sweet almond crescents.
So I decided to make a version of it here at home and I have to say, it was possibly even better! Sometimes, by the time we got there, the dough had gotten soggy. At home, we all got to stuff our faces with fresh, warm delicious baked almond-y goodness.
I made a super quick 30 second video for you guys. I think it’s helpful to see how to braid the pastry…all I need is to invent a scratch and sniff screen. 😉 Would y’all like to start seeing more videos? Do you find them fun/helpful at all?
I promise you will love this easy recipe for my favorite almond filled pastry. Make this for brunch to impress all your friends…while it looks very involved, it only takes about 40 minutes start to finish!
Recipe Note: The almond paste is what gives this all it’s flavor – don’t skimp on it! Also, if you want to add chocolate, I like to spread nutella on top of the almond mixture before I braid the pastry. It is seriously divine.
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 7 oz almond paste
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water. Set aside.
- In a food processor (or stand mixer) combine almond paste, sugar and vanilla extract. Until well combined.
- Unfold pastry sheet on prepared baking sheet. Gently roll it with a rolling pin to be a little thinner than it is out of the box – not much, just a little larger.
- Follow video above for how to cut, fill and braid pastry. Here are some written directions to help guide you:
- Unfold 1 pastry sheet on prepared pan. Cut slits 1 inch apart from the 2 sides of the pastry rectangle within 1/2 inch of the where the center mixture will go. Arrange the almond paste mixture down the center of the pastry.
- Starting at one end, fold the pastry strips over the almond mixture on a diagonal, alternating sides. Brush the pastry lightly with the egg wash. Sprinkle with the sliced almonds.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then lower heat to 375°F and continue to bake for 17 to 20 minutes — until golden brown. Let cool on pan for 10 minutes, slice and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 189Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 20mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 16gProtein: 4g
Want to Save This Recipe?
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.