These Churros with Salted Caramel Sauce are perfect for when you need a sweet treat. They are easy to make and the homemade caramel sauce is so delicious you’ll want to put it on everything!
Churros Taste Even Better With Homemade Caramel Sauce
The only places to get churros near me are amusement parks or Taco Bell. And as much as I love Disney, I can’t justify paying to get into Disney for a churro. Plus, they don’t have delicious salted caramel dipping sauce to go with their churros!
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup white sugar, for tossing
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, for tossing
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons flaky sea salt
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine water, sugar, salt and vegetable oil. Bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat.
- Stir in flour. Continue stirring until mixture forms a ball. Transfer dough to a piping bag with a star tip attached.
- Heat oil for frying in deep skillet to 375°F. Pipe strips of dough into hot oil using a pastry bag. You can make any shape you like – even hearts! Fry until golden; drain on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Using a paper bag (or a large re-sealable bag) combine 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon. Toss drained churros in sugar mixture and serve immediately with salted caramel sauce!
Salted Caramel Sauce:
- In a large sauce-pan over medium-high heat, add sugar, whisking as it begins to melt. The sugar will form clumps, but keep whisking. It will continue to melt.
- Stop whisking once all of the sugar has melted and swirl the pan occasionally while the sugar cooks.
- Continue cooking the sugar until it reaches a deep amber color. Using a candy thermometer (or instant- read thermometer) cook caramel until it reaches 350°F.
- As soon as the caramel reaches 350°F, carefully add the butter. Whisk until butter is completely melted.
- Immediately remove the saucepan from the heat and slowly add the heavy cream. Whisk until caramel is smooth. Whisk in the sea salt.
- Allow caramel sauce to cool for 10 - 15 minutes in the pan. You can serve it with your churros once it has cooled, or you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to fry your churros!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 4610Total Fat: 460gSaturated Fat: 45gTrans Fat: 12gUnsaturated Fat: 394gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 1338mgCarbohydrates: 133gFiber: 1gSugar: 109gProtein: 5g
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.