Classic pretzel sticks are coated in a sweet and tangy homemade honey mustard, and then baked to crispy, crunchy perfection. These homemade Honey Mustard Pretzels are PACKED with flavor making them the ultimate fun baked snack!
Sweet, Tangy, and Savory Pretzels – So Snackable!
Pretzels are a favorite around here, whether plain or flavored. We like them with a little mustard, or as-is. But our favorite kind of pretzel is probably this easy, homemade honey mustard version! That’s right, you can take simple (even organic) pretzels and give them your own mouthwatering honey mustard flavoring, with no processed ingredients and no hassle!
Honey mustard pretzels are perfect for game days, lunches, after school snacking, or making long car rides a little more bearable! They’re wonderful with a fizzy glass of your favorite kombucha, or maybe a nice cold beer for the grownups. Pile them up in big bowls for family movie night, or arrange them on your next charcuterie board! You really can’t go wrong with these addictive little snacks.
What’s in This Pretzel Recipe?
The homemade honey mustard sauce in this recipe uses dijon mustard, mayonnaise, honey, and a little lemon – but you could also use a prepared honey mustard sauce from the grocery store. It’s up to you!
- Pretzels: I like pretzel sticks, but any shape will work.
- Butter: If you use salted butter you may want to adjust the salt in the recipe.
- Honey Mustard Sauce: You’ll need 1/4 cup of Homemade Honey Mustard, plus more for dipping if you choose.
- Onion Powder: Onion powder adds an extra-munchable, extra-savory seasoning to the honey mustard. I always sprinkle a little extra onion powder on mine after they bake to really pump up the flavor!
How to Make Homemade Honey Mustard Pretzels
Making your own honey mustard pretzels is so easy! All you have to do is coat your store-bought pretzels in the homemade honey mustard and onion mixture, and bake in a low oven to seal in all of the flavor. Here are the steps in more detail.
- Prepare to Bake. To begin, set your oven to preheat to 250°F. Next, line a large baking sheet (or two smaller baking sheets) with foil or parchment. Set those aside for now. Finally, empty the bag of pretzel sticks into a large mixing bowl.
- Make the Honey Mustard Mixture. Next, in a smaller bowl, stir together the honey mustard and the onion powder. Then melt the butter (you can do this in the microwave or on the stove – or even in the oven!). Pour the melted butter over the honey mixture, and stir until combined.
- Coat the Pretzels and Bake. Pour the honey mustard mixture over the pretzels in the mixing bowl. Use a wooden spoon, or a spatula, to gently toss and coat the pretzels in the sauce. Spread out the pretzels on your baking sheet, and bake for 45 minutes. While the pretzels are baking, gently stir them every 15 minutes or so, to ensure that they bake evenly.
- Cool. Take the pretzels out of the oven, and let them cool for about 10 minutes. The honey mustard coating will firm up while the pretzels cool. You can sprinkle the pretzels with extra onion powder at this point as well, if you like.
- Enjoy! Serve the honey mustard pretzels by themselves, or paired with additional honey mustard sauce for dipping.
Tips for Success
This is definitely a fail-proof, totally easy snack to make, but there are a lot of ways to tweak it! Here are a few of my favorite tips and variations. Enjoy!
- Use Any Pretzels: I really like pretzel sticks, but ordinary pretzels, mini pretzels, large pretzels broken into pieces, pretzel bites… all are great in this recipe!
- Use Any Mustard: When you make the honey mustard, you can definitely play with the type of mustard and change it to your preference. Deli mustard, spicy mustard, grainy mustard, yellow mustard… use the kinds and amounts that you like, or experiment with something new!
- Add More Ingredients: If you want to change up the texture, you can combine different types of pretzels, or add other ingredients like bagel chips or pita chips (think Chex Mix!).
- Bake in a Single Layer: The pretzels bake best if you spread them in a single layer each time you put them in the oven.
Yummy Ideas for Serving
To serve these pretzels, all you really have to do is set them out and stand back to avoid getting stampeded! Seriously, they’re so good, they always disappear. But I have to say, the sweet and tangy flavor with its hint of smoky spice is great with lots of other dishes, too!
- Roll Ups: With a quick batch of Cuban Ham Roll Ups, your homemade honey mustard pretzels make a great lunch! You’ll love these easy low-carb wraps made with smoked ham, lettuce, and pickle.
- Dip: Again, you can definitely serve these pretzels with additional honey mustard for dipping – but you could also whip up a mouthwatering Smoked Fish Dip or Easy Fully Loaded Guacamole! Yum!
How to Store Honey Mustard Pretzels
I recommend storing these pretzels in an airtight container at room temperature. I haven’t tested how long they’ll keep, but if you are not going to finish them within a day or two, you may want to make half a batch to avoid keeping the leftovers around too long. We never have them last longer than 24 hours in my house!
Homemade Honey Mustard Pretzels
- 1 pound pretzel sticks, or any shape
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup Homemade Honey Mustard, plus more for dipping (optional)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder, plus more for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 250°F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Pour the snack pretzels into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the honey mustard sauce, melted butter and 1 tsp of onion powder.
- Pour the honey mustard mixture over the pretzels in the mixing bowl. With a wooden spoon, gently toss to evenly coat.
- Spread out the coated pretzels on the prepared baking sheet and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes, making sure to gently stir every 15 minutes to ensure even baking.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes. The honey mustard coating will harden as it cools. Sprinkle with additional onion powder, if you desire!
- Serve the honey mustard pretzels by themselves or paired with my homemade honey mustard sauce for dipping.
More Fun Snack Recipes
- Cheesy Ranch Pigs in a Blanket
- Garlic Dill Refrigerator Pickles
- Ranch Raw Veggie Bars
- Pulled Pork Nachos
- Hot Spinach Dip
- Texas Cheese Fries
- Cheesy Ranch Chex Mix
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.