Slow Cooker Turkey Taco Soup is a cozy, filling soup recipe perfect for the cold weather to come! Throw some ground turkey, beans, chicken broth, and a few more ingredients into your slow cooker, and you’ll have a warm, hearty meal come dinnertime.
Looking for more slow cooker soup recipes? Try this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup!
A Cozy Soup Recipe Perfect for Fall
It’s still summer, but that doesn’t mean you can’t be building your list of hearty and healthy soup recipes for Fall. This Slow Cooker Turkey Taco Soup should definitely be on that list. It’s packed full of flavor, it’s a huge timesaver, and it’s so simple!
After 20 minutes of prep, practically all you have to do is mix the ingredients into the slow cooker and wait for the soup to be done. The most work you will have to do is browning the ground meat!
If your day is looking pretty busy and you’re worried about getting dinner to the table on time, this turkey soup is a great recipe to fall back on because your slow cooker (or Instant Pot!) will do the work. And just like your regular Taco Tuesdays, everybody can pile on their preferred toppings at the end!
Ready to try this incredible taco soup? Round up the following ingredients:
- Olive Oil
- Ground Turkey: you can use chicken or beef, too.
- Chicken Broth
- White Beans: use something like great northern or cannellini beans.
- Frozen Corn
- Hot Sauce
- Spices: Cumin, Cayenne Pepper Seasoned Salt, Chili Powder and Black Pepper
- Salsa Verde
- Diced Tomatoes: or Rotel if you want more kick!
I like to use a combination of my own seasonings in this recipe, however if you are in a rush, you can also use taco seasoning! Or even make your own homemade taco seasoning if you don’t have the packet already!
How to Make Slow Cooker Turkey Taco Soup
Prep: In a large skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil, ground turkey and onion. Brown turkey until meat is no longer pink and onion is translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Transfer meat mixture to slow cooker.
Cook: Add all remaining ingredients (except corn starch) to your slow cooker. Stir to combine. Set the heat to high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
Make a Slurry: Place cornstarch in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of broth from the slow cooker into the cornstarch and stir. Continue adding broth 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach 4 tablespoons total of broth added.
Stir the slurry into the soup, this will help to thicken the soup. Allow soup to rest for 10 minutes and then serve warm.
Store: You can keep it warm for hours in the slow cooker or store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Tips for Success with this Easy Taco Soup
Read through these tips for some extra help with putting together this soup:
- Ground Turkey Tips: you can use extra lean ground turkey instead, or you can substitute it with ground chicken or beef.
- Meal Prep: this recipe is easily made a couple days ahead of time, and then all you have to do is reheat it for dinner!
- Vegetarian Soup: for a vegetarian meal, omit the meat and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Seasoning Ideas: you could use some homemade taco seasoning instead of the other spices.
Serving Suggestions & Topping Ideas
Wondering what toppings to use? I’ve got you covered:
- Tortilla Chips
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- Jalapeños (or other peppers)
- Diced Red or Green Onion
You can serve this soup with Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread for even more flavor.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store this soup in an airtight container in the fridge, and it will stay good for 4-5 days. To thaw the soup, heat it on low in a covered pot on the stovetop, stirring occasionally until it reaches the desired temperature.
Can I Freeze this Soup?
Yes, after the soup has cooled you can freeze it for around 2-4 months in an airtight container to prevent freezer burn.
Can I make this in the Instant Pot?
Yes! I actually have a favorite Instant Pot Taco Soup already, but you can also cook this same recipe in the instant pot by following the easy steps listed in that post!
Looking for more easy Crockpot dinners?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs ground turkey (chicken or beef)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans white beans, drained and rinsed (like great northern or cannellini)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil, ground turkey and onion. Brown turkey until meat is no longer pink and onion is translucent. Add garlic and sauté for minute. Transfer meat mixture to slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients (except corn starch) to your slow cooker. Stir to combine. Set the heat to high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Make a slurry: place cornstarch in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of broth from the slow cooker into the cornstarch and stir. Continue adding broth 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach 4 tablespoons total of broth added. Stir the slurry into the soup, this will help to thicken the soup. Allow soup to rest for 10 minutes and then serve warm.
- You can keep it warm for hours in the slow cooker or store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 368Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 121mgSodium: 864mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 36g
Want to Save This Recipe?
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.