Bright red and ice-packed, this watermelon agua fresca is a refreshing summer drink with a splash of lime juice. Sweetened with sugar or honey, it’s way better than store-bought juice and is so much better!
Why You’ll Love This Watermelon Agua Fresca Recipe
All you need is one sip to convince yourself that this is your new go-to drink.
- Healthy: It tastes way better than processed drinks, with no preservatives or additives, plus this one’s actually healthy because it’s packed with nutrients. Watermelon contains a variety of nutrients, including potassium, magnesium, and vitamins A and C.
- Quick: Just add everything to the blender and process it, this recipe only takes 5 minutes!
- Refreshing: Lime juice and watermelon are pretty much synonyms of summer flavors, so get ready to sip away.
- Perfect for Gatherings: To switch things up a bit, serve it as an alternative to sugary drinks you’d normally have at cookouts or dinner parties. It also looks gorgeous in a large pitcher at a party!
- Family-Friendly: Strained to remove all the pulp, this recipe is perfect even for the pickiest eaters.
Love watermelon drinks as much as we do? Make sure to also try this watermelon lemonade and frozen watermelon limeade slushies. If you are looking for adult-friendly drinks, these watermelon margaritas are always a hit, as well as this refreshing watermelon frosé. You may also enjoy this Mexican candy shot, also known as a paleta shot, made with watermelon schnapps.
What Is Agua Fresca?
Agua fresca is a type of Latin American drink that can come in many different flavors. They’re usually a blend of fresh fruits, veggies, seeds, and herbs with sugar and water.
The most popular kinds are lime with chia seeds, mango with passionfruit, or milky rice water. In Mexico, it is usually sold in carts around parks and can be enjoyed with breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Make sure to also check out my recipe for cucumber agua fresca.
You only need a few ingredients, most of which you may already have on hand. For full ingredient amounts and directions, scroll to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Watermelon: I prefer to use the seedless watermelon variety when I can, but any fresh cubed watermelon will work great.
- Granulated Sugar: You can use raw honey, agave syrup, light brown sugar, or dark brown sugar.
- Lime Juice: Lemon juice works too.
- Chamoy: This is totally optional, but highly recommended for the rim!
How to Make Watermelon Agua Fresca
Making watermelon agua fresca is no different to blending a juice or smoothie. It’s so easy to make with just 4 simple steps!
- Blend: Add the watermelon, lime juice, and salt to the blender. Process until smooth.
- Strain: Strain the mixture into a pitcher through a fine mesh sieve or cheese cloth.
- Prepare the Rim: Optional: Dip the rims of the serving glasses into chamoy or tajin.
- Serve: Fill the glasses with ice, pour in the agua fresca, and enjoy.
Tips & Variations
Use these tips and variations for all of your fruit-based agua fresca recipes:
- Add Tajín: Adding 1-2 tablespoons of Tajín or Miguelito chili powder to the agua fresca will make it extra spicy and Mexican.
- Make Ice Pops: Pour the mixture into ice pop molds to make delicious frozen treats. You can even dip them in chamoy to make them tangier.
- Freeze: Transfer any leftovers to a freezer-friendly bag or container and freeze it for up to 6 months. Thaw it completely in the fridge and then serve as usual when it’s no longer watermelon season.
- Make It Fruitier: Adding 1/2 cup of strawberries or raspberries to the agua fresca will add a punch of berry sweetness.
- Use Frozen Fruit: Fresh watermelon gives you the best flavor, but you can also use frozen watermelon. Whether you buy frozen watermelon chunks or have leftovers from a couple of days ago, this fruit-flavored water is a great way to use up any leftover watermelon.
- Add Alcohol: Want to make it boozy? Add a hearty splash of your favorite liquor and this watermelon water instantly turns into a party! I like it with rum, tequila or vodka!
Watermelon agua fresca is the perfect drink for all your Mexican-themed meals. Serve it with my Mango Salsa and Tortilla Chips for an extra fruity snack. For main dishes, I recommend my Salsa Verde Chicken, Instant Pot Cochinita Pibil, or Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos. It goes well with most dishes as long as they’re not too creamy, saucy, or soupy.
Refrigerate this watermelon agua fresca in a pitcher covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Stir it right before serving to redistribute the sugar. Keep it away from heat and sunlight when on the counter because these speed up the watermelon’s fermentation process. Enjoy it straight out of the fridge or at room temperature.
More Refreshing Summer Drinks
- Best Mojito Recipe
- Frozen Mango Margarita
- Coconut Mojito
- Best Frozen Margarita
- Coconut Margarita
Watermelon Agua Fresca
- 6 cups cubed watermelon
- 1/3-1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Add the watermelon, sugar, lime juice and salt to a blender. Blend well, until smooth.
- Dip the rims of the cups you are using in chamoy or tajin, if desired.
- Fill the cups with ice, then fill with watermelon agua fresca and serve immediately.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.