Silver tequila, lime juice, triple sec, and homemade watermelon juice combine to make sweet summertime Watermelon Margaritas! So easy, and perfect for a festive occasion.
The Best Summer Margaritas, Ever!
If you’re a fan of margaritas, this recipe is for you! In fact, it might also be a game-changer for those of you who don’t like margaritas! Because let me tell you, the combination of a classic margarita with plenty of cool, sweet, homemade watermelon juice is absolutely to die for.
Of course, I love all things watermelon – it is a quintessential summer ingredient, whether you are serving it in cold wedges, or making it into this juicy cocktail. Sip this one poolside, or at the end of a long, hot day while the sun is setting – you’ll be glad you did!
If your kids love watermelon as much as you do, make sure to whip up a batch of my easy Watermelon Lemonade! That way they won’t try too hard to steal your margarita. ;-)
The Ingredients You’ll Need
These ingredients will probably be familiar to you if you’ve made margaritas before. The “special” ingredient on the list is definitely the fresh watermelon!
- Watermelon: I like to use seedless watermelon so the seeds don’t end up blended into the juice. You can use pre-cut watermelon, or cut your own.
- Tequila: Blanco tequila is perfect in this smooth, crisp drink.
- Simple Syrup: To sweeten the drink mixture. Feel free to substitute agave nectar or even sugar – but if you do use sugar, make sure to stir it really well so that it fully dissolves.
- Triple Sec: Cointreau is also great, if you have it on hand.
- Lime Juice: Fresh is best, but bottled will do in a pinch.
What Is the Best Alcohol for Margaritas?
Blanco tequila (also known as white or silver tequila) is unaffected tequila with a pure, crisp taste. It’s considered the go-to tequila by many, but you can also use reposado and anejo tequilas, which are aged and have more complex flavors.
How to Make Watermelon Margaritas
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that you can make a batch of margaritas so easily, but they taste so special, thanks to the watermelon juice. Plus, they’re easy to make ahead and store until you’re ready to serve!
- Make the Watermelon Juice. In a blender or food processor, puree the watermelon until it’s a smooth liquid. Then use a fine-mesh sieve or clean, folded cheesecloth to strain the watermelon liquid into a big pitcher. Discard the leftover watermelon pulp.
- Add the Remaining Ingredients. Pour the tequila, simple syrup, triple sec, and lime juice into the pitcher with the watermelon juice. Give it all a good stir to combine.
- Chill. Cover the pitcher and place it in the fridge to chill until you’re ready to serve.
- Enjoy! Serve your margaritas over ice, garnished with fresh mint, lime wedges, salted rims, or whatever you like!
Tips for Perfect Watermelon Margaritas
Want to know more about making this recipe? Great! I do have some easy tips I’d love to share. Read on, and enjoy your perfect watermelon margaritas!
- Make It to Your Taste: Every margarita recipe is different, and there’s no reason not to tweak this one to your taste. You can make it sweeter or less sweet by adjusting (or omitting) the simple syrup, adding more or less tequila, or adjusting the amount of lime juice. Easy!
- Rim Options: Salt is a great option for flavoring the rim of your glass, but you can also use sugar, or go with Tajin, a popular chili-lime seasoning that will give your margarita a kick.
- Frozen Margaritas: Instead of making watermelon juice, you can freeze cubes of watermelon, and freeze the rest of the margarita mixture as well, in an ice cube tray (it will not totally freeze because of the alcohol, but it will be very cold and potentially slushy). Toss all of that in a blender, and you’ve got a super-delicious, frozen watermelon margarita.
Yummy Serving Ideas
To serve this refreshing drink, why not have a satisfying dish or two? Lots of foods pair perfectly with margaritas, bringing out the best in this favorite cocktail.
- Empanadas: Tapas style empanadas are great finger foods with cocktails! I have a bunch of sweet and savory recipes for empanadas, here are a few of my favorites: Cheesy Beef Empanadas, Homemade Chicken Empanadas and sweet Pineapple Empanadas.
- Shrimp Tacos: Quite possibly the perfect food, shrimp tacos are even spicier and more fun in this recipe for Easy Shrimp Tacos With Slaw – these go amazingly with this Watermelon Margarita!
- Tortilla Chips and Salsa: For an ultra-easy serving option, just set out pretty bowls of your favorite tortilla chips and some good homemade Guacamole – or maybe some homemade Pico de Gallo. Or go all out watermelon with my Watermelon Salsa! Yum!
Refrigerating and Freezing Leftover Margaritas
Any leftover margaritas can be stored in the fridge, with no ice, for up to three days. Cover your pitcher or container, for best results.
To keep them even longer, pour into a food storage container with an airtight lid (leave a little room for the liquid to expand) and freeze. If your freezer is on the coldest setting, the mixture will last for months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and then stir before serving.
More Easy Cocktail Recipes
Looking for more quick and easy cocktail recipes? Here are a few more of my favorites:
- Frozen Mango Margarita
- Boozy Jolly Rancher Drinks
- The Best Mojito Recipe
- Carajillo (Mexican Coffee Cocktail)
- Loaded Bloody Mary
- The Best Coquito
- Fresh Grapefruit Paloma
- Aperol Spritz Recipe
- Sweet Peach Moscow Mule
- Frozen Peach Bellini
Easy Watermelon Margaritas
- 4 heaping cups of cubed watermelon
- ¾ cup tequila
- ¾ cup simple syrup
- ½ cup triple sec
- 3 ounces lime juice
- In a blender or food processor, puree the watermelon until smooth. Using a fine mesh sieve, strain the puree into a large pitcher, and discard the leftover pulp.
- Add the tequila, simple syrup, triple sec, and lime juice to the pitcher, and stir until completely mixed.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve over ice, and garnish with fresh mint and lime wedges, if desired.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.