Made with only 3 ingredients, these easy air fryer tortilla chips are both effortless and healthy. Spiced up with different seasonings, they’re ready to be dipped into your favorite salsas and dips.
Easy & Healthy Tortilla Chips
When these air fryer tortilla chips only require 3 ingredients, why would you ever buy some at the store again? Plus, you save yourself a whole lot of trouble by making them in the air fryer— one of my favorite kitchen appliances. These tortilla chips are practically effortless from start to finish.
Ready in less than 15 minutes, these crunchy little triangles can be as simple or as flavorsome as you want. You don’t even have to have Mexican food with them! With your favorite seasonings, you can transform them into a Tex-Mex or Mediterranean side in seconds.
As long as you keep an eye on the air fryer, these tortilla chips are practically fail-proof. Besides, since there’s no deep-frying involved, they’re quite healthy too. After you’ve had one bite, you’re never going back to store-bought ones ever again.
What You’ll Need
With only 3 ingredients, there’s absolutely no going wrong with this recipe. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for full ingredient amounts.
- Corn tortillas – Don’t substitute them for flour tortillas.
- Cooking spray – Avocado, vegetable, or olive oil is fine. Please don’t use butter cooking sprays or non-stick sprays for baking.
Here are some of my favorite ways to spice up these air fryer tortilla chips:
- Make them spicy. Sprinkle 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of chili powder on the tortillas to give them some heat. If you feel particularly confident about how much you can take, substitute it for ground chile de arbol.
- Make them garlicky. Mix 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder to give your tortilla chips a garlicky punch.
- Make them Mediterranean. Combine 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon of paprika, 1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley, and 1/8 teaspoon of dried thyme to make an exquisite Mediterranean spice mix.
- Make them Tex-Mex. Whisk 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of paprika, 1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano, 1/8 teaspoon of chili powder, and 1/8 teaspoon of dried cumin for a Tex-Mex spice mix.
How to Make Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
Once you get the hang of it, they’re practically fail-proof.
- Prepare the air fryer. Preheat the air fryer to 375 F.
- Cut the tortillas. Use a sharp knife to carefully slice each tortilla into 6-8 even triangles. You can also tear them with your hands as long as you make sure they’re more or less the same size.
- Arrange them. Place the tortilla chips in a single layer across the bottom of the air fryer basket. Don’t overlap them.
- Add the oil. Spray them with cooking oil on both sides and then add the salt. If you’re using spices or seasonings to flavor the tortilla chips, now’s the time to add them.
- Air fry them. Cook them for 2 minutes, then flip them over. Spray with more cooking oil and allow them to cook for another 2 minutes. Check them again and remove them from the air fryer if they’ve reached your desired crispiness. If not, cook them for 2 more minutes at a time until done to taste.
- Serve. Carefully remove them from the air fryer and let them cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Tips for Success
These tips will help you make the crispiest, most flavorful air fryer tortilla chips while reducing waste in your kitchen:
- Season them. Add a bit of garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, or whatever your favorite spices are for an extra flavorful bite.
- Keep an eye on them. Sometimes it’s easy to walk away, but I suggest watching them closely to avoid burning because burnt tortilla chips are really bitter.
- Use refrigerated tortillas. Fresh corn tortillas are very soft, meaning it takes longer to make them crispy. For this recipe, using the tortillas that have been in the fridge and are a bit dry is best.
- Freeze the scraps. Whenever you use tortilla chips, save the scraps/leftovers and pop them in a freezer-friendly bag. This way you can reduce waste and, when you gather enough of them, you can use them to make tortilla chips.
Why Are My Air Fryer Tortilla Chips Chewy?
If your tortilla chips are still chewy, it means they’re not done cooking yet. Leave them in the air fryer for another 20 seconds and up to 1-2 minutes or until they’re golden brown and crispy. You can also give them an additional light spray of cooking oil to help speed up the process.
Use these to make chilaquiles or serve them with refried beans and guacamole. You can even make yummy nachos with lots of ground beef, melted cheese, pico de gallo, beans, salsa, and shredded lettuce.
You can also dip them into your favorite salsas and dips like my Avocado Salsa, Tomatillo Avocado Salsa, Texas Caviar, and Crockpot Jalapeño Corn Dip.
How Long Will Homemade Tortilla Chips Last?
Stored in an airtight container away from heat and humidity, these air fryer tortilla chips will last for up to 10 days. If they lose some of their crunch, you can pop them in the air fryer for 15-30 seconds at 350 F until they’re nice and crispy again.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- Air Fryer London Broil
- Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos
- Air Fryer Oreos
- Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Air Fryer Green Beans
Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
Ready in less than 15 minutes, these crunchy 3-ingredient air fryer tortilla chips will convince you that homemade is always better.
- 6 corn tortillas
- Oil cooking spray (avocado or olive oil)
- Salt, to taste
- Cut corn tortillas into triangles. Depending on the size of your tortilla, you will want to cut them into 6 to 8 triangles. (Slice it like a pizza!)
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F.
- Spray tortillas on both sides with oil spray and sprinkle with salt, to taste. Place tortillas in the air fryer basket, in as even a layer as possible. If your air fryer is smaller, I recommend working in batches.
- Air fry for 2 minutes at 375°F. Open the air fryer, flip the tortillas, spray a little oil again, and fry for another 2 minutes. Keep tossing chips and air frying in 2-minute intervals, until your desired level of crispness.
- Remove from the air fryer and serve as desired!
- The thinner your tortillas, the thinner your tortilla chips will be.
- Storage: Stored in an airtight container away from heat and humidity, these air fryer tortilla chips will last for up to 10 days. If they lose some of their crunch, you can pop them in the air fryer for 15-30 seconds at 350°F until they're nice and crispy again.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 147Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 215mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 0gProtein: 3g
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.