These days it’s all the rage to “Cook like your grandmother”. Meaning, cook everything you eat from scratch…without any preservatives, boxed goods or canned crap. The thought behind it is, we will all live a much longer life. I have no idea if this is true — and I am not sure I can give up Oreos and Cap’n Crunch — but if it is, I sure want to be like my grandparents when I hopefully get to be their age!
My Papa is 84 this year and my Granny is in her 70’s –a lady never tells another ladies age– and they are both still full of life. My Granny still grows a beautiful garden each year and she recently got an iPad. She is getting really good at using it and she now actively reads my blog (Hi, Granny!). My Papa continues to be one of the most quick witted people I have ever known. Earlier this year he had a health scare and was in the hospital for a little over a week. In spite of the dreary hospital and long days, he kept the jokes coming and had all the nurses laughing.
The cast iron muffin tin holding these darling Jalapeno Sweet Corn Muffins was my grandmothers. Last time I was visiting, she asked if I wanted it. Of course, I take anything she sends my way…I love having things that have a story behind them. I love the reminder of her when I am cooking dinner…plus I am pretty sure the muffins just taste better when they are baked in her muffin tin. 🙂
Check out my Cilantro Corn Confetti for more fun ways to use up some of that fresh summer corn and to learn more about Duda Farm Fresh Foods!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup fine ground cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk (or buttermilk)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup Duda Farm Fresh Foods fresh corn kernels
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, 1 chopped and 1 sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a cast iron muffin tin or cast iron cornbread pan with butter. (You may also use a regular muffin tin with cupcake liners.) Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, egg and milk. Slowly add dry mixture to wet mixture, scrapping down to the bottom as needed. Do not over mix.
- Gently stir in shredded cheese, corn, green onions and the chopped jalapeno. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full and top each muffin with a jalapeno slice.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes if using cast iron, or 14-16 minutes if using a regular muffin tin. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes back clean.
- Serve warm with a slab of butter, or store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 405mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 8g
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.