I am ready for fall. I have my fall candles out. I have already opened two cans of pumpkin. I brought out my big fall wreath and I even made a huge batch of gumbo. But it’s still not fall in Florida. We are halfway there, but
almost halfway doesn’t count.
So in a last cry for fall, I have bought one of those cinnamon brooms at the grocery store. I watched Hocus Pocus. I had true cornbread stuffing and sweet potato casserole at Mrs. Wilkes’ in Savannah yesterday. The only thing left for me to do, make more soup. If fall doesn’t come soon I may have to come move in with one of you Yankees. I promise to bring goodies and soup and wine! 😀
I have been making this Spicy Black Bean Soup for the last 3 years now. The original recipe was written down on the back of a napkin from a coworker, but has been reworked so many times that the only thing that has stayed the same is the name. It has a spicy sweet flavor and is perfect with a dollop of daisy and some fresh cut green onions….and it’s best friend is a grilled cheese sandwich!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large white onions, chopped
- 4 large jalapenos, minced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 6 (14.5 oz) cans low sodium black beans (4 cans drained & rinsed, 2 cans with liquid)
- 6 cups water, plus 3 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian No Chicken Base
- In a large heavy bottomed stock pot, over medium high heat, add olive oil, onions, jalapeno, shallot and garlic. Sauté until translucent.
- Add spices and mix until well combined. Cook for 3 minutes more.
- Add beans and broth (water + better than bouillon), bring to a simmer. Simmer until soup has thickened slightly, about 40-45 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender (or using the transfer 1 cup at a time to a blender method and back to the pot method), blend about half of the soup until smooth.
- Serve with a scoop of sour cream, green onions, and maybe even a grilled cheese!
Recipe Notes: This soup freezes extremely well. Just place in ziplock freezer bags, and freeze! Also, yes you could use the vegetable stock in the quarts…but I seriously love the flavor the BTB Vegetarian No Chicken Base adds!
Novice Chef Blog Original
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 1272mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 11g
Want to Save This Recipe?
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.